Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Dottie Jane Worthen

On Thursday, September 13, 2012 I had a Dr. appointment with Dr. Savage. At the appointment she asked me what I was thinking since I was 2 days overdue. I told her I was terrified of being induced and asked for another week before she induced me. She agreed and told me that when first time moms are induced it is usually a very long labor. She explained that it would take about 6 hours for my body to realize that the pitocin was putting me in labor, and once my body kicked itself into labor, about another 12 hours after that. So needless to say the thought of induction really stressed me out. Dr. Savage told me that she was fine with another week, but wanted me to go tot he hospital to have a Non Stress Test done to see how the baby was doing. I got an appointment at the hospital for an hour later.

I got to the hospital and before I was hooked up to the heart rate monitor the nurse did an ultra sound to check out the level of the amniotic fluid. When they measure the levels they give the fluid a number. At a 5, you have to go right up to labor and delivery and get induced. My levels were at a 6. The nurse explained that if there was any blip in the baby's heart beat that I would most likely be induced. So I was then hooked up to the monitor and Dottie's heart rate was great. I was convinced I still had the weekend to do the grocery shopping and everything else I had postponed. I had a little contraction while I was hooked up and Dottie's heart rate dropped a bit. Nothing was really said so I assumed I was going back to work. Then the nurse told me to go out with her while she called Dr. Savage. Well Dr. Savage and the Dr. on call both decided that I needed to be induced right then, but since Dottie's heart rate was overall good, they let me go home to get my things and my husband and then come right back to the hospital.

I called Jeff and cried as I walked through the hospital. I had so many mixed emotions going on in my head. I was scared of the long night ahead, afraid of the pain of labor, and just overall overwhelmed with the idea of becoming a mom. But on the way home I grabbed Jeff and I Carl's Jr. because I knew that the hospital wouldn't let me eat until I delivered...and I was hungry, so there was no way I wasn't going to eat before going. I came home and we ate, showered and started laundry. 

After getting admitted to the hospital and hooked up to Pitocin, Jeff and I decided he should go home and move around the laundry and maybe eat dinner or something. After all, it was going to be a long night, and we didn't want our clothes getting all mildewy! So he went home for 2 hours. 

While Jeff was gone my contractions were very steady. They were about 2 hours apart and it really shocked me how quickly they were getting painful. They weren't too bad though since I knitted and talked to my mom on the phone. Jeff got back to the hospital around 7pm and my contractions were starting to get very painful. Dr. Savage had told me if I was open to having a epidural to not wait to get it. She explained it would be a long night and I needed my rest for when it came time to push...since pushing as a first time mom it would be long and hard. 

From 7:00-9:00 my contractions were very painful and on top of one another. One would stop and one would start. I felt like I got no break and I was in a lot of pain. I asked for a epidural and had to wait awhile since the anesthesiologists were switching shifts. After I got my epidural I was checked and was only dilated to 3 cm. At that point I was glad I got the epidural thinking there is no way I could survive 7 cm more without one. They then broke my water, and then Jeff and I decided we would take a nap while we could. So we slept for 2 hours. 

I woke up with my right side hurting so bad. The epidural was only working on my left side. It was miserable. Then I got more drugs and was happy again. Dr. Savage checked me and I was at 9 cm. I had gone from 3 cm to 9 cm in 2 hours....while I SLEPT. It was awesome. I asked if I could "Rest and Descend" since I was feeling so good. She said there wasn't much point since Dottie was low and I was ready, but she did have another baby to deliver, so she was going to let me wait a bit. 

The Resident came in with a nurse and together they were getting me ready to push.  With one push the baby crowned. I couldn't believe it. They had me push through a few contractions, but then the resident told me to stop until the Dr. came in. So we waited for the Dr. and once she came in I pushed Dottie out in 2 contractions. The total time was 20 minutes, but I could have had her out a lot faster if they didn't make me wait for the Dr. 

Dottie came out screaming. But it didn't last long. She stopped crying and was just kind of moaning while they were looking over her. This worried them and they wanted to get her to a Respiratory specialist. I didn't get a chance to see or hold her. It was heartbreaking, but deep down I knew she was fine. I just wanted to hold her. 

She was born at 1:09 am and weighed 6 lbs 15 oz and 19 inches long. I couldn't believe she was so small. For some reason I just thought I'd have a huge baby. 

Around 4:00 am we went and watched her get her first bath. I was in so much pain, but I just wanted to see my baby, so they put me in a wheelchair and too me to the nursery. See her was overwhelming. I was so in love with her. I watched them bathe her, and cried when they made her cry. It was surreal knowing that she was ours. 

At 5:00 am I finally got to hold my baby. It was wonderful. I'll never forget really looking at her for the first time and studying all her features. There is nothing about her that looks like me and so much of her is Jeff. She is absolutely beautiful. 

The past 10 days have probably been the hardest days of my life. No sleep and lots of emotions. They have also been the best 10 days of my life. I couldn't be happier than I am now. She brings so much happiness to Jeff and my life and I absolutely love seeing Jeff be her father. I've got a good life and I am so grateful for it. 

7 comments:

Alicia said...

She is so cute! Congrats:)

Tara : Damon : Ellis : Hudson said...

so cute! sounds like it went awesome for you, your next labor will be like 5 minutes!

Alicia said...

Okay, so I teared up as I read this post. So amazing. This post seems to be bursting with so much happiness (as well as your exhaustion). I am so happy for you, Jeff and Dottie.

And by the way, I love how you said she is all Jeff and so beautiful. That began the tearing up for me.

You already are an awesome mom. Yes, I can tell all the way from Boston.

Alicia said...

I teared up as I read this post. This post is seriously bursting with your happiness (and your exhaustion). I am so happy for you, Jeff, and Dottie.

My favorite part was when you said she was all Jeff and so so beautiful. That began the tearing up.

You already are an amazing mom. Yes, I can tell all the way from Boston.

Ashley.Oborn said...

She is so adorable! I love reading birthing stories, all the emotion and fear and excitement. I'm envious you didn't have to push very long ;) but congrats to you guys! She's so precious! Enjoy every moment because they grow SO fast!

Ashley.Oborn said...

Congrats! She is so adorable! I love reading birthing stories because they're filled with so much emotion and fear and excitement. I'm envious you didn't have to push for that long ;) She is so precious, enjoy every moment because they grow up SO fast!

Dana Darlin' said...

This story is so inspiring to me! I hope my labor goes okay! I have the same fears about induction and even more fears about having to get a c-section. Dottie is beautiful and thanks for sharing! :)