Sunday, January 3, 2010

Christmas & Craftivities

Well I'm using Jeff's computer and I can't figure out how to move the images on his Mac like I can on a regular PC. So the pictures are all out of order. So Sorry.

Lately I've been feeling very domestic. I've been trying new recipes (most of them fail) I've been working on crafts and stuff (some of which fail) and I've set some other goals for other domestic things to work on.

I decided I wanted to make my nieces headbands for Christmas...unfortunately it took me a lot of tries to figure out how to make the flower, then how to make the headband the right size, so I only got one done by the time we got to Roseville. Here Marley is modeling it for me every so nicely. Isn't she a doll? Unfortunately the headband was too big, and Marley didn't like wearing it too much. Craft #1: FAIL.

On another note, I had so much fun with this little girl while I was home. I felt like she was my little bud. I wish I could take her everywhere with me. Is it weird of me to say that I find it hard to believe/understand that I will love my own kids more than I love my nieces and nephews? Because I don't know how it is possible. I mean seriously...look at this face:

Project #2: Success
I made this scarf for Candace for Christmas. It was all she said she would like, so I made it. I like how it turned out...I'm not sure if she did or not, but I'm still measuring the project as a success :)
OUT OF ORDER IS GOING TO DRIVE ME CRAZY!
Jeffrey bought me this awesome keyboard for Christmas. I was really excited. I've been wanting one for quite awhile. It makes me pretty sad when I think how I took piano lessons for about 8 or 9 years and I don't have much to show for it. So I told Jeffrey I wanted to change that and practice and get better again. So I've had fun since I got it, and after I finish this post I'll probably go work on a Les Miserables piece I am teaching myself.
Who all is jealous that this is one of my few Christmas decorations. I am sure it is the second stuffed animal Jeff would like to throw away, but it's ok. I love it and it will only come out for a month of every year :)
Our first Christmas tree...no the presents aren't that huge, the tree is just that small....We didn't have much room for a Christmas tree, but we do have a little ledge in our apartment that held our little tree and presents quite nicely.
Project #3: Success
The next two pictures are pictures of a book I made for Candace for Christmas as well. I can't get the second one to flip, so use your imagination on it being 90 degrees clockwise. My mother-in-law makes books like this and she has been teaching me how to do it. I wish I had a picture of the guestbook I made for Tara and Damon. I think it turned out pretty cute....if I do say so myself. I like making these books, it's a fun new hobby.

Project #4: Success
I made this book for my cousin Katie and I gave it to her the night before she went into the MTC.
Project #5: Fail/Success
I wanted to make Marley and Elizabeth matching pink headbands. So this one is Libby's....the flower turned out good, not a fan of the way the this style of headband is turning out though....following you'll see my improvement...so this one gets a half and half rating.
Project #6: Hopefully a success
This is a new combination of stitches I'm trying on the new headbands...so far it is a huge improvement and i used smaller needles to match the flower better. The only problem with it is it doesn't give much stretch so I am having to get head measurements...ugh!

Project #7: Who knows what success this is.
I decided to make myself a headband....see for your self... I kinda like wearing it....not sure if I'll wear it in public though. Here is the back (yes, I taught myself how to make a button hole!! Don't judge though...I'm not perfect yet)
Side view
Project #8: FAIL
I told you I'm trying to be more domestic...and yes, I've tried a few new recipes. One of them I was really excited about. Kimi told me about this website called pioneer woman. Well I was cruisin through her recipes and came across a Baked Lemon Pasta recipe. Look at the link. The picture will probably make your mouth water as it did mine. Well I tried it...and I don't think I put enough sour cream in because mine turned out really dry. It had really great flavor. The mix of garlic and lemon was delicious, but yeah, I managed to ruin that one. And of course I decided I should invite my in-laws to have some (you know because I can get over-confident about my cooking skills that I totally lack). Let's just say I was pretty embarrassed. They probably feel so sorry for their son. But sometime I'll try it again.... I think adding in chicken would make it that much more delicious.

Project #9: Mastered.
Can I just say PUMPKIN MUFFINS!!!
Pumpkin Muffins
Adapted from the American club, in Kohler, Wisconsin via Gourmet Magazine
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin (from a 15 ounce can)
1/3 cup vegetable oil*
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pumpkin-pie spice
1 1/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar**
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 bad chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350*.

Mix flour and b.p. Set aside. Mix pumpkin, oil, eggs, spice, 1 ¼ cups sugar, b.s., and salt. Combine with flour mixture. In small bowl, combine remaining sugar and cinnamon. Divide batter evenly among 12 paper-lined muffins. Sprinkle with cinnamon mixture. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes.


The chocolate chip part is my addition. Isn't it the law that if I change something in a recipe, it's no longer and original recipe of that person, it's now my original recipe??? Well, law or not, it's MY recipe (oh and of course Mel's)


Well sorry for this long post. It gave me something to do why Jeffrey catches the Zzz's this Sunday evening. Poor thing has to start school tomorrow...I'm saying that in the most sympathetic, loving, supportive wife voice ever, not the "ha-ha sucks for you" voice you all are picturing.


Anyways, I'm off to do Project #10: Tacos.....hopefully I can't screw this one up too!!


9 comments:

Judy Stohl said...

Jenn - I love reading your blog. You are like a breath of fresh air in my life. Tacos sound so yummy and I am going to make your pumpkin muffins for Dennis. Don't freeze and hope to see you again soon on Sun Tree Drive!

kaysi van dyke fox said...

oh i am so jealous! you are so crafty! those headbands are so cute!!!!!

Melanie said...

Yes, I love your blog too. You are so inspiring. Maybe I'll try something new today too, maybe blog. Who knows?! Anyway, we miss you down here.

Melanie said...

Oh and I love the little blurp about Marley. It got me a little teary eyed. I don't know why though, I'm with her everyday ...

krisjane said...

You are a little domestic diva!! And I can totally vouch for the fact that your pumpkin muffins are AMAZING!! I think I ate about 4 or 5 each day I was there! :) I love all your projects too! Those headbands and bows are seriously adorable!! I might need to order one from you for Sadie....what's your price?? And I love how much you love Marley, and all the kids!! She is such a cutie too!!

Megan Holdaway said...

Look at you, little craft goddess. Sounds like you're having fun! I really like the headband you made for yourself and I think you should for sure wear it outside.

Can't wait to read more of your domestic ventures.

Kimi said...

That's awesome! I love that I made it into your blog. I feel special. ha ha ha Now I want to cook and knit. Look what you've done to me.

Melanie said...

Yeah, I love your headband. I definitely think it is worth taking out on the town. You look so stylish in it!

hckd said...

Enjoyed stopping by your blog.. found it randomly.. I'd love to knit but have never had the chance to have someone teach me. Did you self-teach yourself , if so how? I was thinking of buying like a video or something.. lol.
Anyway.. love the headbands and yes your niece is adorable! : )