Thursday, June 7, 2012

My quinoa journey



I decided to give Quinoa a try. I am looking for more meals without chicken and getting more protein in my diet. I was thoroughly impressed with it. This is the recipe I did:

1/2 Cup Quinoa
1 Chicken Broth
1 Can Cream of Broccoli SOup
1 Cup Sour Cream
A bit of milk
Cheddar chees...to my desire
Broccoli

I cooked the Quinoa (and rice fearing the quinoa would be nasty and knowing Jeff wouldn't want it)
Mixed the Cream of Broccoli Soup, Sour Cream, Milk and Cheese in a seperate bowl.
Added the cooked Quinoa to the soup mixture
Put broccoli on top, and pour more of the soup mixture over that and a little cheese.
Backed at 350 until it was bubbly.

It was surprisingly good. It totally took the flavor of the chicken broth and I actually preferred it over the rice. Jeff didn't try the Quinoa. I think the look alone was gross. It was a little too watered down and I'm not sure I cooked it long enough, but it was still good!!
This is when I figured it was done...it wasn't. Should have let it simmer for a bit longer, but it was still good


The two seperate dishes. yes we each got our own, no I didn't eat all of mine, but you better believe Jeff polished off his. I'm pretty sure this type of meal is his favorite of the things I make. Also because I'm pretty sure this is the kind of stuff his mom made.
I HATE dinners like this. THREE pots to clean?!?! (also, please excuse the dirty stove. I made a broccoli mess all over it.)
The finished product. Like I said, mine turned out too soupy, but seriously, still tasted amazing.

No comments: